I am this type of person who likes reading stickers placed almost everywhere. Matatus are my best catch because they have all sorts of writings both praising and scorning passengers and generally about life. In fact, when I enter a matatu, I first look around to see what has been written all over. You may be amazed by the writings you will find on the wall! Yesterday something caught my eye in the cyber café as I was browsing. It was some good advice that I will call Cyber Counsel due to the environment I was in. The first part was on friendship and read something like:
Wise is the person who fortifies his life with the right friendship. If you run with wolves, you will learn how to howl. But if you associate with eagles, you will learn how to soar to greater heights.
That as you grow old your associates will change. Some of your friends will not want you to go on. They will want you to stay where you are. Friends that don’t help you climb will want you to crawl. They will either stretch your vision or choke your dreams. Those that don’t increase you will decrease you.
I read all about this friendship advice while trying to analyze how truthful this may be from our daily personal experiences. But the bottom-line is that I am also a friend to many and could fall in either of the above categories. So I kept nagging myself with the question what type of a friend am I?
On the other side of the wall was also an old piece of torn papers that I struggled to read through. I could see writings that were very encouraging:
The next time you feel like God can’t use you just remember that:
- Noah was a drunk, Abraham was too old and Isaac was a day dreamer.
- Jacob was a liar, Leah was ugly and Joseph was abused.
- Moses was a stammer, Gideon was afraid and Solomon a womanizer.
- Rahab was a prostitute, Jeremiah and Timothy were young and David had an affair and was a murderer too.
- Elijah was suicidal, Isaiah preached naked, Jonah ran from God and Naomi was a widow.
- Job went bankrupt, Peter denied Jesus and the disciples fell asleep while praying.
- Martha worried about everything, Mary Magdalene was divorced more than once and Zacheus was too small.
- Paul was too religious and Lazarus was dead!
I learnt from these writings on the wall that No more excuses now! God used all these people to accomplish His goals on mankind despite shortcomings. God can use you too to your full potential. Know that you are not the message but the messenger so God is waiting for you.
You only need to be careful where you stop to inquire for directions along the road of life.